What’s Your Role at The Carers Centre?
I am the company secretary and my role includes:-
- making sure that the charity is complying with relevant legislation
- keeping a list of Trustees/Directors
- communicating with members (or shareholders in businesses) over matters to do with Annual General Meetings
- complying with the law, and reporting to the relevant authorities when necessary
- making sure the minutes of any relevant meetings are taken
How Did You Get Involved with The Carers Centre?
I’ve been a carer, or around caring, all my life - and I’m still caring. Over the years I’ve realised that I couldn’t just stand to the side and moan about the way carers are treated, and so I got involved as a volunteer with a number of organisations (mostly with an autism focus). Eventually, I found my way to The Carers Centre and when an opportunity to apply for a job there, I jumped at it.
I started out as a Development Worker, got roped into Advocacy work and eventually became Deputy Centre Manager, and Centre Manager. When the time came to look to retire, the Centre restructured to a joint management situation, and I became the Services Manager until my retirement.
I’m now a member of the Board of Trustees, where I hope to continue to support carers in whatever way I can.